What is a Loan Trust?
A Loan Trust is a special type of Trust that allows an investor to gradually reduce his/her Inheritance tax (IHT) liability over time while also providing a tax efficient source of personal ‘income’ (actually capital repayments for tax purposes). It is suitable for client’s who want to do something towards mitigating Inheritance Tax whilst also having access to lump sums and/or a regular ‘income’.
The benefits of a Loan Trust are:
- A means of gradually reducing Inheritance Tax
- The ability to receive regular or ad hoc loan repayments
- Access as of right to original capital during lifetime
- All capital growth passes to beneficiaries after your death, free from IHT.
- High degree of control over who will finally benefit
- No personal income tax or capital gains tax to pay.
- No requirement for Trust Tax Returns